Thursday, March 16, 2017

Successional Wood Engravings


This post is looking back at engravings I completed in China in 2015. The opportunity to go to China was something I could not pass up. I needed to recharge in a place I have never visited but also so cultural rooted in. I also wanted to see where printmaking began and how this tradition is being taught, how it has kept up in translating current cultural ideas. And who doesn't want to go for the food?



Untitled (Primary Succession I), 2015
Wood engraving; 18x20"


Untitled (Primary Succession II- box#6), 2015 
Wood engraving;  36x25"

Succession (Raw, cube), 2015
Wood engraving; 36x25"

Untitled (Succession-Raw), 2015
Wood relief; 25x36" 


Succession is a series of wood engravings about the interface between man-made and natural. A disturbance in the landscape reestablishes balance with an ecological community over time. These successional stages begin with pioneering plants such as grasses that are the focus of this series.   



SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments: